Greetings Holmes Families! This is Mr. Anglin with your weekly update for Tuesday, October 20th.
The REMIND App
YCS is making plans to begin using a parent-teacher communication app called "Remind". This is a FREE! secure app that can be downloaded to any iPhone or Android device, which will allow our Holmes staff to communicate easily with you via secure text messaging or by phone. Remind will be used for communications for all YCS K-12 students.
Your child’s teacher will be reaching out to you soon with information to join their Remind.
Class Dojo may still be used by your child’s teacher to give feedback on classroom interactions, but Remind will be used to communicate district and classroom information.
Thank you for your support!
NWEA Assessment has begun...
The Northwest Evaluation Association (NWEA) is a standardized assessment that helps to identify student academic levels and assesses student growth. This year, students will take NWEA in the fall and spring. The data from this assessment will help us identify areas we can support and any areas your child is already excelling in the curriculum.
If they haven’t received communication already, your child’s teacher will be communicating with you soon about their specific assessment schedule for their class.
We Appreciate Your Help with the NWEA
We ask that parents and/or family members do not read the test questions or aid their students in answering the questions. It is very important that we can get an accurate assessment for your student so we can build in the appropriate support for their learning this year.
Areas where families can continue to support with the NWEA:
- Finding a spot with a good Internet connection.
- Finding a space quiet enough for your student to concentrate for at least 90 minutes of uninterrupted time.
- Making sure that your child has their camera on while taking the assessment.
If you have any questions regarding the NWEA assessment, please do not hesitate to contact me email@example.com, or your child’s teacher.
Friday Project Based Learning Opportunity
I wanted to remind you about an opportunity being offered this year by YCS on Fridays. This opportunity is led by the District Library Media Staff on Fridays with LIVE Sessions to Explain Projects, Discuss Possibilities, and Monitor Progress.
The FOCUS: Cultivating our Students’ Genius through Project-Based Learning and Stories from our YCS Freedom Dreamers.
Students will respond to the equity prompts and questions, participate from equity panels, listen to monthly speakers, create Public Service Announcement short videos, work with other youth around topics of race that will allow them to do a quick write, as well as, create a 2 to 5-minute video clip that will be placed in the Stories from our YCS Freedom Dreamers website.
The information to join the Friday Project Based Learning opportunity is in the link below.
Food distribution from Food Gatherers will be at Holmes Elementary every Thursday beginning at 9 AM and will be available until 2 pm when the regular meal delivery ends. They will be delivering 100 perishable boxes (with dairy, meat, and produce) and 100 non perishable boxes.
YCS Food Delivery
Ypsilanti Community Schools will now provide Grab and Go Food Delivery on Friday through December 2020*. Families can go to a bus route nearest their home to pick up 7 days worth of breakfast and lunch for each student in their household. Food distribution sites will still remain at ACCE, Erickson, Holmes, Perry and YCHS. All sites are free for any child under the age of 18 or under 26 with special needs. Please visit www.ycschools.us for detailed information and other up to date information!
- Clark Road Parking Lot (across from Green Oaks) - 11:00 a.m.
- Riley Court - 11:30 a.m.
- Timberlands @ the playground - 12:00 p.m.
- West Ridge - 12:30 p.m.
- Arborwoods @ bus depot - 1:00 p.m.
- MacArthur (Harris @ MacArthur Library parking lot) - 1:30 p.m.
- Crestwoods Apts - 11:00 a.m.
- International - 11:30 a.m.
- At Home Store (fence opening) - 12:00 p.m.
- Roundtree @ club house - 12:30 p.m.
- Fairhills Dr. @ Carriage Way - 1:00 p.m.
- Davis & Arnet - 11:00 a.m.
- Grove Past South - 11:30 a.m.
- Old Kettering School Driveway - 12:00 p.m.
- Huron View Apts @ Clubhouse - 12:30 p.m.
- Bedford @ Allston Ct. - 1:00 p.m.
- Chapelle School - 11:00 a.m.
- Ferris & Middle - 11:30 a.m.
- First & Monroe - 12:00 p.m.
- Russell @ Dakota - 12:30 p.m.
- Parkwood @ Woodlawn - 1:00 p.m.
826 Michigan is offering free virtual school work support. Please see the flyer for more information.
826 Michigan Flyer
If you need your student’s live instruction information, please contact me via email, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 734-221-2100.
All YCS students 2nd-5th grade are assigned a Chromebook/laptop. If you would like a chromebook or laptop please contact the Technology Department to schedule a time to pick up your device by emailing email@example.com or calling 734-221-1088. The technology department can also assist with any device, software, or application issues/needs you may have.
If you are unable to make arrangements to pick up your device, you can contact your child’s teacher or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at 734-221-2100.
YCS will continue their partnership with Comcast. If you need Internet Access please review the link below or call 734-221-2100.
YPSI Live Essentials Sign-Up Information
YCS Meal Service Information Flyer
YCS will continue meal service at 5 locations this school year.
Meal Service Days are Tuesdays and Thursdays 9 am - 2 pm. (Monday and Wednesday 9 am - 5 pm at YCHS)
Meal Service Sites:
- A.C.C.E. School / 1076 Ecorse Rd, Ypsilanti, MI 48198
- Erickson Elementary School /1427 Levona St, Ypsilanti, MI 48198
- Holmes Elementary School / 1255 Holmes Rd. Ypsilanti, MI 48198.
- Perry Early Learning Center / 550 Perry St. Ypsilanti, MI, 48197
- Ypsilanti Community High School / 2095 Packard St. Ypsilanti, MI. 48197
If you have any questions, or if you need any support please do not hesitate to reach out to your child’s teacher or me at email@example.com OR call 734-221-2102.
Please visit www.ycschools.us for the most up to date information and follow Holmes Elementary School on Facebook.
Enjoy Your Week!