Welcome to Ypsilanti Community Schools
THE YCS Sinking Fund Ask from the Community.
The YCS Sinking Fund will request 3 mills on Tuesday, November 6, 2018 ballot for the City of Ypsilanti, Ypsilanti Township and Superior Township.
Ypsilanti Community Schools is asking for approval of the sinking fund to provide financial support toward infrastructure upgrades and renovations in school security, technology, buildings and grounds. The sinking fund will help YCS with issues of leaking roofs district-wide, failing parking lots, old flooring, outdated computer systems, inadequate number of computers for students and staff plus fixing no-functioning security systems.
If the sinking fund fails to pass by voters, the General Fund cannot sustain further allowances for major infrastructure and technology needs. The sinking fund allows YCS to protect the community’s investments in school which attracts students and maintains property values. The funds assure that facilities are safe, secure, up to date, and attractive for the overall well-being of students, staff, and community.
What is a sinking fund?
- Tax on ALL properties for 10 years to fund infrastructure improvements and repairs to school district facilities
- Tax revenues generated are exclusively used for the purposes stated in the ballot language
- No money is borrowed; there is NO debt issued or interest paid by taxpayers
- Sinking fund dollars protect General Fund dollars that must be preserved for instruction, programs, salaries and other operating costs for YCS.
What will be the cost?
- A 3 mill sinking fund will provide YCS approximately $1,620,000 annually toward infrastructure upgrades and renovations in school security, technology, and buildings and grounds
- 3 mill generated annually for 10 years equals $16,200,000 in improvements for students, staff, and our community
- 3 mill equals $3.00 per $1,000 taxable value. For example, the tax on a home of $100,000 taxable value would be $300/year or $25/month for 10 years
What are the downsides of failing to pass a sinking fund?
- General Fund cannot sustain further allowances for major infrastructure and technology needs
Ypsilanti Community Schools Reports
2018-19 District School Improvement Plan
2017-18 YCS CNA Overview
2014-15 District Annual Education Report (AER) Cover Letter
2015-16 District Annual Education Report
2016-17 AER Combined Report
YCS Stormwater Management Program
Coordinated School Health Team
Crisis Response Team Concern Report