Admissions Process & Commitments
Ypsilanti STEMM Middle College
2095 Packard Road
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Questions - please contact:
D. Scott Heister, YMC STEMM Academy Academic Leader
Student application process
- The application is now available (see link below).
- The application deadline will be March 16, 2017.
- 2017-18 acceptance timeline is Mid-April to September 1, 2017.
- Student and parent(s)/Guardian(s) must attend an informational session prior to completing the application process. (spring and summer dates TBA).
- Complete the Ypsilanti STEM2 Middle College Application
- Students must be at least 13 years of age to enter the 9th grade.
- Every student must have completed the 8th grade.
- Cannot transfer into the Middle College after the start of the 11th grade school year.
- Students must be interested in a STEMM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Manufacturing) Education.
- Each student will be individually evaluated for age and credit status to determine the student's ability to meet the graduation requirements of Ypsilanti STEM2 Middle College.
Mandatory Attendance at Parent Information Night
Student and parent/guardian must attend a Parent Information Night (no one is accepted without attending an information night). Parent information nights are held in the Ypsilanti Community High School Building, Room 108 (lower level of the building - YSMC Office).
Meeting dates and times will be announced when the applications process opens to the public (see above).
If the applicant did not attend Ypsilanti Middle School in 8th grade or if he/she is transferring from another HS the following required paperwork must be completed and on file in the Ypsilanti Middle College STEMM Academy main office:
- Ypsilanti STEM2 Middle College Application
- 8th grade report card
- Original certified birth certificate (copy not accepted)
- Current immunization record
- High school transcripts (if transferring from another HS)
- YCS District Enrollment Packet must be completed and submitted to the District Registrar
- Out of District Students must complete Schools of Choice Application located on YCS Enroll Enrollment linked here
Program COMMITMENTS Information:
Ypsilanti STEMM Middle College (YSMC) is a public high school in the Ypsilanti Community School District that is a Middle College High School. It is important that students and their parents/guardians understand the benefits and risks inherent to this program.
Each student must:
- Be enrolled in the Ypsilanti STEMM Middle College for a total of 5 years, (3.5-4 years in the YMC STEMM Academy at YCHS and 1-1.5 years in the YMC STEMM Academy at Washtenaw Community College). Students can advance through the program based upon College Readiness and academic progress.
- Update their Educational Development Plan (EDP) yearly with the assistance of a mentor teacher and/or counselor.
- Complete the Michigan HS Merit Curriculum.
- Complete all required District and State testing.
- Complete the internship/career experience during the student’s 5th year.
• 100 hours of verified community service
• Minimum 40 hours of verified career exploration, internship, job shadowing or clinical experience Or
• a combination of the above two that equals 70+ hours.
- Complete a mathematics course during the student’s 5th year.
- Complete the Washtenaw Community College enrollment process each year.
- Complete the Middle College MEMCA approved College Readiness Curriculum.
All students are required to earn a minimum of 15 college credits (non-remedial courses) in order to earn a high school diploma. The 15 credit requirement is a minimum – the goal of the program is for each student to earn an associates degree &/or 60 transferrable credits (see the Michigan Transfer Agreement).
•Dual enrollment students are considered college students, therefore:
- Poor or failing grades in a college class permanently stay on the student’s college record.
- A college Grade Point Average (GPA) below 2.0 results in the student being placed on academic probation at college.
- Parental questions or concerns regarding college issues need to go through the high school counseling office, WCC staff will not discuss a student with a parent/guardian.
In order to re-enroll for in the following semester at WCC, students are required to have academic and social progress that shows they are likely to complete the program. This includes proper distribution of high school credits, college readiness (as determined by the SAT or WCC placement exam), accumulation of college credits, as well as evidence of social/behavioral maturity.
Parent(s)/Guardian(s) – at least one must:
- Complete all required paperwork (both YSMC and WCC forms).
- Complete Parent/Guardian Program Orientation.
Interim Principal: Cory Gildersleeve - email address: email@example.com
Interim Assistant Principal: Amanda Rawsky email address: AClark9@ycschools.us
Academic Leader: D. Scott Heister email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Counselor K-Z: Chris Donoghue email@example.com