- Blends high school and college, resulting in a high school diploma and 15-60 transferable college credits.
- Typically a 5 year program = 3 high school + 2 college
- Ability to dual enroll at WCC depends on:
- Accuplacer college reading and writing readiness scores
- Soft skills certification
- MEMCA - State Accredited Middle College
- Career Technical Education (CTE) provided within YCS
- Auto Tech
- Auto Body
A Brief History
In 2015 the Michigan Department of Education endorsed the Ypsilanti STEMM Middle College as one of a small number of Middle College High Schools in the State of Michigan.
The Ypsilanti STEMM Middle College is working with the Michigan Early/Middle College Association (MEMCA), the Michigan Department of Education and Washtenaw Community College to significantly increase the high school, collegiate and post-secondary success and completion rate of Ypsilanti youth.
The Ypsilanti STEMM Middle College was granted MEMCA Accreditation on Dec. 1, 2016.
Ypsilanti Community High School Virtual Tour
The Ypsilanti STEMM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Manufacturing) Middle College offers a rigorous, relevant and technologically advanced learning experience for all students. Businesses, community partnerships, and STEMM-based electives are used to create and incorporate real-world experiences in the learning process. Inquiry and project-based instructional best practices are implemented to ensure every student accomplishes their goals. In order to create a meaningful educational experience, we have established a system of shared responsibility and collaboration, supported by the trust and respect of students, staff, and the community. The culminating learning experience for STEMM will be a Senior Capstone project.
- Up to 60 FREE transferable college credits with an associates degree
- FREE transportation to YCS and WCC campuses
- Mentoring and support from teachers and advisors while transitioning from high school to college
- Engineering and Manufacturing experiences
- Participation in YCS athletics and elective courses
- World-class FIRST Robotics Team
- U of M, EMU and WCC Partnerships
- Engineering and Manufacturing experiences as part of the Ypsilanti STEMM Middle College Curriculum
- Annual updating of Educational Development Plan specific for each student
- MEMCA Technical Certifications Offered:
- Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA)
- Computer systems technology
- Construction technology
- Engineering design & technology
- Aviation technology
- Machine Tool Technology
- College Readiness
- Gracious Professionalism
FIRST Robotics Engineering Principles:
The idea for the YCHS STEMM Middle College grew out of work with our FIRST Robotics Team 66. Using FIRST principles, engaging our students in engineering principles to design and compete in FIRST Robotic Competitions allowed us to design a highly competitive robotics program, from which our drive to build a STEMM Community arose. FIRST (For Inspiration & Recognition of Science and Technology) is the backbone of this Middle College. FIRST’s mission is to inspire young people to be science and technology leaders and innovators, by engaging them in exciting mentor-based programs that build science, engineering, and technology skills, that inspire innovation, and that foster well-rounded life capabilities including self-confidence, communication, and leadership (www.firstinspires.org).