Great things going on at Holmes Elementary!
2019 Washtenaw County - Summer Sports Camp
Ages 8 to 15 (under 8 - not admitted) with breakfast and lunch provided!! See the link below to register for free.
Girls On The Run of Southeast Michigan chose Holmes Elementary School to be the recipient of a generous grant for the 2019 season. This grant was made possible because of a generous donation from the Russell Family Foundation. Holmes has been provided with 37 pairs of new running shoes from Ypsilanti Running Company, busing transportation to and from the 5K Event at Rolling Hills, and each participant gets to bring an adult running partner of their choice to the 5K Event at no cost. We feel so fortunate to be chosen to receive this grant and are thankful to Girls On The Run for recognizing the needs and the efforts of the students and coaches at Holmes Elementary!
Thank you to Women and Men Working For Change for their annual Totes for Teachers program donations for 2nd-grade teachers at Holmes and in the district! We really appreciate you!
Great job to the courageous students that worked hard and participated in the Holmes GOT Talent Show on March 15, 2019!
NAAPID Day at Holmes - February 11, 2019
Check out the AMAZING events that have taken place at Holmes Elementary this fall!
Gaga Ball at Holmes Elementary
Matt Read completed his Eagle Scout Service Project at Holmes Elementary this past October by building a highly anticipated gaga pit for the students. Matt started the process by having meetings with administrators from YCS to talk about the project, how it would work and the benefit for the students at Holmes. The project started in mid-August and was complete for students to use at the end of October. Matt had to create a plan to build by first creating a budget and fundraising plan to get the supplies he needed to build the pit. He did several site visits to determine the location of the Gaga Pit and preparing for the build.
Matt gathered his family and friends to build the Gaga Pit and the project was completed in one day--just in time for the Holmes students return from intercession. Matt bought balls for each classroom teacher along with printed instructions for students to know the rules of the game.
Thank you, Matt, for your hard work on this project! We appreciate your leadership and planning on this project--the Holmes family loves it!
Congratulations to Holmes Elementary for receiving the Bronze Medal Award from the State of Michigan in recognition for their commitment to health and wellness for students and staff!!!!
HOLMES ELEMENTARY ROCKS! OUR STAFF WORKS HARD AND IS APPRECIATED! THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOLMES!
Mrs. Jones's third grade class at Holmes Elementary.
Third-grade reading activities
The following are the guided reading rotations. Each rotation lasts for 20 minutes.
- The district provided Fountas and Pinnell format is used
- Students are placed in ability groups according to the Developmental Reading Assessment (DRA)
- Teachers match students with challenging books that are at their instructional reading level
- Students become better readers by reading, self-monitoring, and problem-solving their way through text with the guidance of the teacher and support of peers in the group
- Teachers are intentional in their instruction and responsive to the specific needs of the students
- Accessible via iPads
- Provides differentiated literacy instruction for students in all ability levels
- Targets gaps in skill levels
- Engages and motivates students in a game like environment
- Provides progress monitoring data
Word Work/Sight Words/Grammar
- Word Work comes from the Skill Builder assignments which are apart of the offline support provided by Lexia
- Personalized lessons designed to address individual student levels
- Builds oral reading fluency
- Students who have not met the sight word requirement have daily sight word activities to support learning the words
- Parts of Speech and grammar is reviewed
- Stands for Drop Everything And Read
- Students will find a cozy spot in the room and read for 20 minutes