Dress Code Policy
Dress Code Policy for Ypsilanti Community Schools
For All High School SLC's and MIddle School Campus, lanyards and student IDs must be worn.
School-issued IDs must be in the possession of each student while on school property or at school-sponsored events. Principals may require IDs to be exposed on a lanyard/clip.
Pants, shorts, capris, skirts, and dresses must meet all the requirements below:
- Style: Must be worn at the waist and cannot sag. The waist is defined as the area between the top of the hip bone to the bottom of the rib cage.
- Fabric: Any fabric is acceptable, with the exception of translucent material or Spandex.
- Length: Shorts, skirts, and dresses cannot be shorter than the end of the fingertips as the arm is at the side, and cannot drag on floor.
Must meet all the requirements below:
- Style: No vulgar or inappropriate words/graphic designs/logos on tops.
- Fabric: Any fabric with the exception of: translucent material.
- Length: At all times, tops must meet the top of the students' trousers or skirt.
- Neckline: At no time will cleavage be visible.
Top Outer Layers
May only be worn over a dress code compliant top and must meet all the requirements below:
- Style: Must be one of the following styles: sweaters, sweatshirts, vest, cardigan, suit jacket/Fleece zip jacket/Letter jacket.
- Hooded clothing is permitted as long as hoods are not worn on head
- YCS, WRHS, or YHS Letter jackets and athletic jackets/ uniforms are permitted.
The Following Are Prohibited
- Exposed undergarments (except crew-style t-shirt).
- Halter tops, tube tops, tank tops and muscle shirts
- Head gear (caps, hats, sweatbands, bandanas, or scarves, etc.) are not to be worn inside the school building at any time, *exceptions may be made per administration
- Excessively tattered or torn clothing.
- Sunglasses may not be worn in the building at any time.
- Heavy metal chains.
- Slippers/house shoes.
****Any other item deemed inappropriate by administration****
Any student not in compliance with this dress code will be asked to change his/ her clothes, or parents will be contacted to bring appropriate attire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Ypsilanti Community Schools a productive learning environment.