Meet the Principal
MRS. CASSANDRA SHERIFF, PRINCIPAL
“The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.” Dr. Martin Luther King
- The goal of education is to support children and their families by providing high-quality education and services.
- That high-quality education creates lifelong, enthusiastic learners.
- The role of the teacher is to foster a learning environment that is safe, secure and supportive of each individual child.
- That principals are responsible for creating, nurturing, and maintaining a healthy and productive learning environment.
- That children deserve an equal chance to learn without being prejudged.
- That parents and community members contribute to a child’s achievement and success in school and later in life.
- That knowledge for children is acquired by hands-on learning opportunities that service the whole child.
- That Y.I.E.S. exemplifies Young Confident Scholars!
I am delighted to be a part of Ypsilanti Community Schools. I feel fortunate to have the opportunity to work with dynamic leaders and highly qualified staff at Ypsilanti International Elementary School (Y.I.E.S.).
Born and raised in Detroit, Michigan working with children and families has always been my passion; with over 23 years of experience in education, family, and community services I have a broad background in education and mental health as a teacher, counselor, program administrator, interim county director, and principal.
I have obtained a Master of Science Degree in Family and Community Services and a Bachelor of Science Degree in Early Child Development from Michigan State University. I am also a certified Michigan K-12 Administrator through Eastern Michigan University College of Education.
I am married to my loving husband Attorney Omar Sheriff. We share three wonderful children DJ, Jacob, and Kennedy. When work commitments are met, I enjoy spending quality time with my family and friends, giving back to the community, learning new things, laughing, listening to music, and traveling.