Great things going on at Holmes Elementary.
Mrs. Jones's third grade class at Holmes Elementary.
Third-grade reading activities
The following are the guided reading rotations. Each rotation lasts for 20 minutes.
- The district provided Fountas and Pinnell format is used
- Students are placed in ability groups according to the Developmental Reading Assessment (DRA)
- Teachers match students with challenging books that are at their instructional reading level
- Students become better readers by reading, self-monitoring, and problem-solving their way through text with the guidance of the teacher and support of peers in the group
- Teachers are intentional in their instruction and responsive to the specific needs of the students
- Accessible via iPads
- Provides differentiated literacy instruction for students in all ability levels
- Targets gaps in skill levels
- Engages and motivates students in a game like environment
- Provides progress monitoring data
Word Work/Sight Words/Grammar
- Word Work comes from the Skill Builder assignments which are apart of the offline support provided by Lexia
- Personalized lessons designed to address individual student levels
- Builds oral reading fluency
- Students who have not met the sight word requirement have daily sight word activities to support learning the words
- Parts of Speech and grammar is reviewed
- Stands for Drop Everything And Read
- Students will find a cozy spot in the room and read for 20 minutes