Great things going on at Holmes Elementary.
Congratulations to Holmes Elementary for receiving the Bronze Medal Award from the State of Michigan in recognition for their commitment to health and wellness for students and staff!!!!
Holmes Elementary participated in the Bike to School Day on May 9th.
"The Safe Routes to School Team at the Michigan Fitness Foundation would like to thank you for showing your community the meaning of “Come One, Come All!” by joining in with Bike to School Day 2018! The event saw over 40,000 students from over 200 schools in Michigan pedal their way to school on a gorgeous May morning. Your encouragement of active and safe traveling to school is paramount to the health and well-being of students."
HOLMES' STAFF ROCKS! THANK YOU FOR WORKING HARD TO PREPARE FOR THE DISTRICT OPEN HOUSE...YOU ARE APPRECIATED!
Mrs. Jones's third grade class at Holmes Elementary.
Third-grade reading activities
The following are the guided reading rotations. Each rotation lasts for 20 minutes.
- The district provided Fountas and Pinnell format is used
- Students are placed in ability groups according to the Developmental Reading Assessment (DRA)
- Teachers match students with challenging books that are at their instructional reading level
- Students become better readers by reading, self-monitoring, and problem-solving their way through text with the guidance of the teacher and support of peers in the group
- Teachers are intentional in their instruction and responsive to the specific needs of the students
- Accessible via iPads
- Provides differentiated literacy instruction for students in all ability levels
- Targets gaps in skill levels
- Engages and motivates students in a game like environment
- Provides progress monitoring data
Word Work/Sight Words/Grammar
- Word Work comes from the Skill Builder assignments which are apart of the offline support provided by Lexia
- Personalized lessons designed to address individual student levels
- Builds oral reading fluency
- Students who have not met the sight word requirement have daily sight word activities to support learning the words
- Parts of Speech and grammar is reviewed
- Stands for Drop Everything And Read
- Students will find a cozy spot in the room and read for 20 minutes